Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mammograms and CT scans

Today was my day for both.  A first for the mammogram but not the CT scan.  I was extremely nervous about getting a mammogram.  I had heard that it felt like a tire was backing up over your boob.  That's not what it felt like to me.  It was awkward for sure to have a strange lady feeling me up and there were a couple of positions that were "ooh, that's uncomfortable/painful".  But nothing like " holy crap that hurts".  They took an initial 6 pics, 3 of each breast.  Then after seeing some spots on the right side, we took a few more pics.  Then we decided to do an additional sonogram on the right side just to be safe.  Needless to say I'm a little freaked out.  Then I went to my CT scan.  No biggie.  They give you an IV and they scan you several times and you're done.  So I'm done I go back to the room to change and notice that where the IV was is bleeding out of control.  So I awkwardly put on my jeans and bra and grab my shirt as a mock-cover-up and run back to the room where they scanned me. And I'm like "hello, sir....I'm bleeding".  And he jumps up and starts wiping me off, and I start crying.  He's trying to be comforting, "blood normally freaks people out, but there's nothing to worry about."  Except that I know I have a high platelet count which means a high clotting factor.  I don't bleed profusely.  Never....so I tried to hold back the tears but I was scared.  He got me cleaned up, it quit bleeding and then he realizes that I'm standing there in my bra with my shirt barely covering me.  So they shut the door and closed the blinds so I could get dressed.  Then I left and cried as I walked to the car.  And it's been an hour since then, and I still keep looking at my arm like it's going to start bleeding again at any minute. 

It kind of creeps me out, because I've never had nose bleeds either in my life, but I swear the last two weeks I have started having them.  Not full on nose bleeds, but about 3 times a day I have this burning sensation in my nose, but no blood.  I sleep at night and wake up with a lot of drainage, and when I blow my nose it's bloody.  So I'm just creeped out.  I don't know if it has to do with cancer or not. 

The nurse lady at the mammogram office talked with me about my impending hysterectomy and told me that she's been contemplating having an elective hysterectomy because she bleeds a lot.  She told me she hasn't done it because she's scared.  She's had 4 kids and 11 surgeries, and she's scared.  WTF.  She said on her last C-section that they didn't sew her up with the right sutures and so it got infected.  WTF. 

2 comments:

  1. Love you...still praying. Aaaaaannndddd...who will we need to talk to, to make sure the right freaking sutures are used??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry the medical person told her personal stories. She crossed a line. It is unfortunate. Medical errors do occur, like improper suturing, but they are uncommon. I am so sorry that your IV site started bleeding. It happens sometimes. I'm sorry it happened to you. I will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete